Monday 15 November 2010

Cheer up, Will!

A sombre day yesterday. It rained, and it's up to you whether you chalk that up to pathetic fallacy or a contributing factor.

I'm bored of Port Vila. Like an airport, it's just an exhibition of the country, it's most acceptable and sterile face. We lie on comfortable mattresses, under an electric fan, and I feel like a sham. I feel comfortable drinking cola and beer, while kava lies disregarded, overlooked down dark alleys behind air-conditioned supermarkets. I won't remember these days, just like I won't really remember my stop-off in Seoul. The insignificance of this time is uncomfortable. I just feel numb.

Our time on Pentecost can't come soon enough.

The high-point was being granted access free of charge to a resort as we were 'residents' of Vanuatu (i.e. we could speak Bislama). I'm sure our subsequent swaggers were fairly blatant. Still though, it was a resort. You know, where tourists go. And I desperately don't want to be a tourist. It seems a pathetic step back.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Will, this stuff is great. Hope you keep it up, really loving reading this.

    ReplyDelete